Twelve Months of Blue Skies ~ Month Two

46f71ffdda3749d08a30f5306b772a5e

Ah, the kitchen. Often the heart of the household. When children are small, it seems like Mom (and many times Dad) often spend a large portion of the day in the kitchen, either preparing meals, cleaning up, and sometimes grabbing a bite to eat over the sink. After preparing a stellar meal, such as for a large Thanksgiving gathering, the kitchen is a place where celebrations and feasts take place. However, it can also be a place of defeat. Ask my family about the infamous “green stuff.” I think it was supposed to be pesto. Hm. That night was a night we left the food on our plates, went out to eat somewhere economical, and returned to clean up the kitchen.

Now that my kids are grown and in their own households, my husband and I are faced with what seems to be a strange problem: using up all fresh produce before it goes bad. Do you have any tips for us on how to plan for healthy, quick, and easy meals for two light eaters? Besides using a magic wand? 😉

But what an absolute blessing to have a kitchen, to have a refrigerator, to have a freezer, and to have a working stove and oven. Our pantry often needs to be organized because of the bounty. The silver lining is that we have more than we need readily available—either here or in a nearby store. Because of many reasons from our lean times in the past, as well as helping others through theirs, I don’t think I can take the bounty for granted. So many in this world have it far leaner than I could even imagine.

When our youngest son was about ten, he said, “We’re rich. Aren’t we, Mom?”

I was taken aback. My husband and I both work hard, and are happy being in the center of what’s considered “middle class” in America.

He then said, “We are. We have a roof. Clothes. Cars that run. And we never fear being hungry. We’re rich!”

I nodded, “You’re right. We’re rich.”

shutterstock_522663619

In the comments, feel free to share a favorite memory of something a child said to you that gave fresh perspective or share a “life hack” for making kitchen duties easier, whether it be cooking for a large family, a retired couple, or as a single person. May we always remember to be thankful for the blessing of food.

• (will not be published)

9 Responses to “Twelve Months of Blue Skies ~ Month Two”

1. 9
    Vivian Furbay says:

I have read your Vine and Orchards series and Sisters of the Quilt series. Love your books and the messages in them of God’s forgiveness and help. Your characters are so real that I actually cried when I read When the Heart Cries.

2. 8
    Betty Rhodes says:

I love it! We are Rich. Your son got it right. I’ll bet he is still feeling that way now that he is all grown up. He saw the “Real Value of Things” and realized the importance of each one.

I feel the same way because my family was one of the poorest families in our community when I was growing up. Now that I have been so Blessed, I sometimes think, how can I have so much now, when I had so little when I was young. God is Good and He is the Reason I am Rich, like your son.

3. 7
    Louise McCallon says:

The first thought that I had after reading this entry was “frozen crock pot meals”! Freeze a variety of pre-measured meals (internet search yielded tons of recipes) in clear freezer bags, labeled of course! Then you have a “ready to cook” meal for those days you will be out all day or someone in need of some comfort.

4. 6
    Evelyn Smith says:

You are so right about others being worse off. We have been through a few lean times in the last few years and I find myself reminding myself of that fact.
    I’m grateful for the things we do have, a roof, reliable transportation, food, clothes and true friends. God has truly blessed us with His love, even during the trials.

5. 5
    June deese says:

Yes, we are truly blessed….we take so much for granted…..

6. 4
    Fraulein Adkins says:

All I can say is DISHWASHER!!! LOL

7. 3
    Wendy says:

You can make a stir fry out of the fresh veggies when they are starting to get past their good stage, add in some chicken or beef and voila, supper! LOL Maybe buy less each time and go to the store mid week too? Fresh fruit, add in a bit of sugar and make a shortcake to put them over, or cook them up together with a tad bit of sugar as well, and you will have a fresh fruit sauce to enjoy also. Wendy

8. 2
    Cherese says:

one tip I use is for leftover coffee I freeze it in ice cube trays, that way if your coffee is to hot you can use one of the cube of coffee and it does not water down your coffee. Also if you want to flavor frosting to icing for cupcakes it’s handy.
    Another tip is to freeze parsley, basil, or any other herb you like in cube trays with some olive oil then when you are ready to cook just pop one out.

9. 1
    Marilyn R says:

I prefer fresh vegetables and fruit. I’ll freeze fresh fruit and vegetables when I know I’m not going to use all of it quickly. The frozen vegetables are great for soups and already chopped or diced up. I enjoy cooking apples and cranberries together for the freezer, too. Blueberries are so easy to freeze and have on hand for oatmeal and a baked item. I’m a light eater and enjoy salads with veggies and fruits.